WEST  SUSSEX


ARDINGLY, Bolney Farmhouse, Selsfield Road  (TQ 342 305)

(a)     Primary construction       

Felling date range: 1545-50

(b)     North cross wing

Felling date range: 1622-54

(a) Corner posts 1522(1)+23NM, 1533(h/s); Collar purlin 1524; Rafters (1/2) 1528(h/s); Tiebeams (1/3) 1530(h/s). (b) Axial beam 1615(2); Wall plate (0/1); Rafters (0/2); Principal rafters (0/1); Collar (0/1). Site Masters (a) 1432-1533 BOLNEY (t = 7.9 LONDON1175; 7.5 SARUMBP6; 7.1 HANTS02); (b) 1530-1615 bol14 (t = 6.2 VICTWHF; 5.8 HANTS02; 5.3 BLCKHSFM).

A four-bay house with a two-bay open hall (upper floor in one bay) and a crown-post roof. The half-floored hall is thought to represent a transitional style in this area between open halls and fully-floored buildings. The main posts are jowled with foot braces to the trusses and arch braces in the exterior walls. One bay has smoke-blackened rafters. A rear lateral stone stack with hearths on both floors was added in the early seventeenth century. In the seventeenth century, a framed cross wing was added to the north (b), and a single bay to the south. Dating commissioned by the owners. (Miles, Worthington, and Bridge 2004, VA 35, list 152)


BOSHAM, Holy Trinity Church (SU 804 039): Spire

Felling dates: Winter 1405/6 and Summer 1406

Horizontal rails (2/3) 1397 (15); 1401 (16); Bracket 1405 (21); Rafters (2/3) 1405 (15C, 17½C); Braces (1/2) 1404 (15). Site Master  1303-1405  BOSHAM (t=6.5 HANTS97; 6.4 TLT19; 6.0 NWDGATE1)

The church of the Holy Trinity, Bosham, West Sussex, is of considerable importance historically since it was probably on this site that Christianity was first preached in Sussex, in the seventh century AD. The Bayeux Tapestry shows a stylised view of the church. A watching brief undertaken when the tower was repaired in 1988 revealed that the Anglo Saxon tower survives intact from plinth level to corbelled eaves course though it has been altered and repaired on several occasions.  Soon after the Conquest the tower was heightened by the addition of a new belfry stage which included at least two windows and a finely carved corbelled eaves course, dated stylistically to about 1080-1110.

In 1998 the Bosham Parochial Church Council commissioned a study of the spire which surmounts the tower, and this showed that although the mast and cross trees that support it were replaced in 1841 (inscribed date) the remainder of the complex structure is essentially of one build, constructed of timbers felled in the period 1405-1406.  Notes compiled by Fred Aldsworth who undertook the study and recording of the spire.  (Miles and Worthington 1999, VA 30, list 100)


BRAMBER, The Street, St Mary’s (TQ 189 106)

Felling date range: (OxCal modelled) 1444-57 (unrefined 1438-69)

All timbers (5/9). Storey posts 1406, 1432(h/s); Floor joist 1427(h/s); Dragon beam 1431(h/s); Rafter 1437(14). Site Master 1299-1437 STMARYS (t = 8.1 NEWDIG1; 7.6 GASKYNS1; 7.4 HANTS02)

The present building is believed to be the surviving wing of a former courtyard house, perhaps built as a pilgrim inn, run by the local monastery. It has been associated with Bishop Wayneflete, though his episcopate started in 1459. It is continuously jettied along the front, with the east end rebuilt in stone. The upper storey is close studded. At the rear three large storey-posts are thought to have supported a gallery facing into the courtyard. Dating commissioned by the owners. (Miles, Worthington, and Bridge 2007, VA 38, list 189)


CRAWLEY, Vine Cottage, 16 High Street (TQ 266 365)

(a)     Hall range

Felling dates: Summer 1472; Spring 1473

Stud/post 1472 (21¼C); Rafter 1471 (15½C); Rails? 1452 (H/S); 1441 (H/S); Misc. unprov. timbers (0/11). Site Master 1377-1472 CRAWLEY1 (t=6.1 37BSBOAT; 5.9 COWFOLD; 5.8 GOLEIGH1)

(b)     Cross-wing and Hall roof raising

Felling date ranges: 1548-1580; After 1542

Collar 1539 (1); Rail (0/1); Tiebeam 1533.  Site Master 1460-1539 CRAWLEY2 (t=5.8 EXTON; 5.5 WIGBORO; 5.2 MASTERAL)

Vine Cottage, 16 High Street, Crawley, appeared to be a Victorian brick building and was demolished during construction of the High Street Relief Road.  During dismantling a timber framed structure was discovered and was recorded, and representative timbers retained for analysis and display.  The original timber-framed building was of the “Wealden” hall house type from which two timbers were dated through dendrochronology to 1472 and 1473.  In addition, two timbers from one room of the upper storey of a cross-wing attached to the southern end of the hall dated to 1548-1580. The hall was altered by the insertion of an upper floor, and the roof being raised, possibly in the seventeenth century.  The only date obtained for this last phase is a tiebeam without any sapwood and felled after 1542, making it possible to be either coeval with the cross-wing phase, or a later seventeenth century date.  The building was recorded to RCHME level III standard with description and analysis by Andrew Harris for Thames Valley Archaeological Services and Sussex County Council (Harris, 1995).  The dating was arranged by Mark Taylor for West Sussex County Council. (Miles and Worthington 1997, VA 28, list 82)


EAST GRINSTEAD, Amhurst House, 68 High Street (TQ 396 379)        

(a)           Primary construction phase         

Felling dates: Summer 1369; Spring 1370

Principal rafter 1369(22¼C); Rafters 1368(14½C2, 22½C); Tiebeams (2/3) 1349(h/s), 1347(h/s); Braces (1/3) 1356(h/s). Site Master 1245-1369  EGRNSTD7 (t = 6.8 KENT88; 5.8 HOGLAND1; 5.3 HALSTOW)

(b)          Later repair phase

Felling dates: After 1540

Weatherboard 1531.  Site Master 1297-1531 egj11 (t = 10.8 FORD; 9.6 LONDON; 8.9 HANTS97)

The date of 1370 reinforces the conclusions (VA 32, 84-6) that development of the High Street commenced at the east and progressed westwards. Amhurst House lies on a central burgage plot on the edge of the medieval market place, opposite the church. The plot is somewhat less than normal width suggesting it was once in common ownership with the adjacent Sackville House, together making up two standard plots. The two-bay open hall has an adjacent floored bay with undershot cross passage. The hall is remarkably small (12ft long) but was nevertheless subdivided by a moulded tiebeam with crown post (since removed) into 7ft and 4ft bays. It has a moulded dais beam with a Decorated style profile with moulded stops. The street end of the cross passage (only) had a short spere screen. The ground floor of the floored bay was undivided and the room above was of some pretension with an axial ceiling beam (since reset) with braces to the centre posts. The crown-post roof is complete except for the hall truss, the collar purlin is chamfered and the braces are straight rather than curved but are not particularly thick. A weatherboard between the western truss and the neighbouring Tudor Cottage must relate to later alterations or repairs at this junction. Dating commissioned by the East Grinstead Society; notes compiled by Peter Gray (†).(Miles and Worthington 2003, VA 34, list 140)


EAST GRINSTEAD, Old Stone House, High Street (TQ 3947 3793)

Felling dates: Winter 1640/41

Rafters (4/6) 1640 (18C, 22C), 1626 (15+6 NM), 1621 (H/S). Site Master 1569-1640 EGRNSTD1 (t=6.1 NEWDIG2; 5.3 CLUNBY3; 4.5 STNSTSJ4; 4.4 SENG98)

Basically a stone cross-wing added to the west end of Clarendon House. The indicated felling date of winter 1640/41 ties up well with evidence in a deed dated May 1650 which states ‘….which said messuage,...newly built… by Mr Robert Pickering’  who acquired the property in May 1630.  This range retains an excellent oak newel staircase. (Miles and Worthington 2001, VA 32, list 120)


EAST GRINSTEAD, Clarendon House, High Street (TQ 3947 3793)

a)       Primary phase

Felling date range: 1438-1467

Door jamb to hall screen 1424 (H/S); Joists 1434 (12), 1437 (H/S), 1435 (H/S), 1424 (H/S), 1423 (H/S); Principal post 1434 (H/S). Site Master 1353-1435 EGRNSTD2 (t=7.3 NEWDIG1; 6.3 NGH1125; 5.8 UPTNMAG2)

b)      Insertion of hall floor

Felling date ranges: 1540-1566, 1561-1579

Joists 1526 (1+13 NM), 1560 (22). Site Master 1444-1560 EGRNSTD3 (t=7.5 HANTS97; 7.4 STOLAFS; 7.3 LONDON)

This standard four-bay Wealden house is built on a site just outside the constraints of the burgage plots. It was of some quality with moulded crown post and dais beam. The two joists from the inserted hall floor suggest that the addition of three fine oriel windows were not directly related to the infilling of the open hall.  Although most of the timbers had low ring counts and missing sapwood, the intra-site matching produced a well-replicated chronology. (Miles and Worthington 2001, VA 32, list 120)


EAST GRINSTEAD, 1-2 Judges Terrace, High Street (TQ 3948 3793)

Felling dates: Winter 1447/8

Joists 1447 (18C, 13); Wall plates 1443 (13), 1423 (H/S); Principal post 1421 (H/S); First floor girt (0/1). Site Master 1341-1447 EGRNSTD4 (t=6.6 chd9; 6.0 ALTON; 5.9 FORD)

The building originated as an unjettied 3 bay hall house.  Like a number of other nearby buildings it had a 2 bay open hall with plain crown post truss. It appears to have been built originally to the constraints of a 2 rod plot but was extended by 5 ft (1.5m) to abut against the adjoining Clarendon House very soon after it was built judging by the date range of a single sample from the rear wall plate. (Miles and Worthington 2001, VA 32, list 120)


EAST GRINSTEAD, 7 & 9 (Corals), & 11 (Wickendens) High Street (TQ 3952 4798)

a)       Primary phase hall and cross-wing

Felling dates: Winter 1450/51

Principal rafter to hall 1450 (16C), Rafter to hall 1450 (19C); Stave (0/1); Joists to cross-wing (2/3) 1450 (17C), 1437 (9).. Site Master 1387-1450 EGRNSTD5 (t=5.4 FIELDPB; 5.3 THEJETTY; 5.0 NEWDIG1)

b)      Rear wing

Felling dates: Winter 1452/3

Rafters (re-set) (2/3) 1452 (11C, 18C). Site Master 1390-1452 ege2 (t=5.5 egb1; 5.0 WOLVERTN; 4.6 lcf4)

This building originated as a four bay wealden. Most of the framing at ground level has either been destroyed of covered during conversion into shops in the modern period. Above this level the structure is substantially complete. The most notable extant features (and an indication of the building’s status) are the solid arch braces to the open truss which are 3ft (900mm) wide and the octagonal crown post with moulded cap and base. A major alteration occurred to the eastern jettied bay and a large part of the adjoining hall bay involving the construction of a cross-wing (no. 11), presumably for commercial reasons. The rear of this cross-wing was altered in the seventeenth century when a further bay was added.

Samples from the untouched part of the original building (winter 1450/1) are very similar to other buildings nearby. A sample from the altered part also gave a similar date, no doubt implying reuse from the original building. The only other timbers to date in the second phase gave a range 1438/69 suggesting that the alterations, and economic imperatives for change occurred within about 10 years of the original construction.  Whilst it is possible the reset rafters dating to winter 1452/3 from the rear wing could mark this alteration, they may also have been re-used from another medieval building.

Despite the large section of many of the timbers, most of them were exceptionally fast-grown, and it is perhaps not surprising that it was two of the small-sectioned rafters which provided the two precise dates from the hall range. (Miles and Worthington 2001, VA 32, list 120)


EAST GRINSTEAD, 4 High Street (TQ 3950 3793)

a)       Primary phase

Felling dates: Winter 1451/2

Principal post 1451 (18C); Arch-brace 1432; Tiebeam (0/1); wall-plate (0/1). Site Master 1364-1451 EGRNSTD6 (t=7.0 EGRNSTD2; 6.7 CHARLWD3; 6.3 NEWDIG1; 5.6 MASTERAL)

b)      Inserted second floor over hall

Felling date: Winter 1629/30

Axial beam (24C). Site Master 1535-1629 egf11 (t=5.6 WENHAM5; 4.7 CHAWTON3; 4.6 WENHAM2)

This is one of the buildings on a typical burgage plot of 2 rods which restricted the layout to three bays, 2 open and one floored. The building itself is in the form of a half-Wealden. It has a moulded crown post to the open hall. An axial beam for the attic floor dated to winter 1629/30, thus giving the date of when the accommodation of the upper floors was improved. (Miles and Worthington 2001, VA 32, list 120)


EAST GRINSTEAD, 34/40 (Broadleys) High Street (TQ 3958 3791)

Felling dates: Winter 1351/2

Crown braces (1351 (20C), 1344 (19); Principal posts 1351 (25¼C), 1323 (H/S); centre stud 1451 (19¼) . Site Master 1284-1351 egh4 (t=7.0 TLT19; 6.1 LONDON; 5.4 FORD)

This building is not typical in layout to any other in the town: it is larger, occupying a 4 rod plot rather than the normal 2 rod of most of the other burgages. Since the fifteenth century it has comprised 2 separate structures the main range nos. 36-40 and no. 34, a range, end onto the street, of at least 4 bays over cellars cut into the natural rock. The main range is of 4 bays with an aisled open hall and a floored bay at the eastern end. There is also the cart way at the eastern end, integral with the structure, giving access to the rear. It is quite possible that we had a courtyard arrangement of which the present building formed the front range: certainly an exceptional building which was of considerable importance in the town at the time. The samples relate to the front range; the cross-wing appeared to have no dateable timber. (Miles and Worthington 2001, VA 32, list 120)


HORSHAM, Chennelsbrook Farm (TQ 188 330)

Felling dates: Winter 1295/6 and Spring 1296

Rafters (3/5) 1295(16C, 28C, 20¼C); Arcade brace 1295(11C); Dragon tie 1284(H/S+10C NM); Collars (0/2); Base cruck collar (0/1); Arcade plate (0/1); Brace (0/1). Site Master 1221-1295 CHNLSBRK (t = 6.9 LONDON; 6.8 MCHLMRSH; 6.3 ASTON).

Now brick-cased with a Horsham stone roof, the building contains the remains of a two-bay base-cruck hall with in-line service bay, and two-bay integral solar cross-wing.  The scantling throughout is impressively heavy and scarf-joints are diagonally-cut.  The remains of a spere truss define the cross-entry, with one surviving arcade post, shaped to a column and with angled struts above.  The arcade bracing remains along the northern elevation, and the hall has corner dragon ties.  There are the remains of a base-cruck open truss, and a common rafter roof with collars morticed into the rafters. The lower hall bay carried a louvre, and the upper bay had a dormer window.  The end wall trusses of the hall were planked rather than infilled with wattle-and-daub.  The cross-wing originally extended to the width of the aisles, and was floored to provide an impressive upper chamber above an undercroft. It has a moulded crown-strut on its open truss, and corner dragon ties. Recent investigation suggests that a high-status shuttered timber window in the north wall may survive almost intact.  The dating has made it possible to identify the builder/owner as Nigel de Alkesburn, who paid 5/1 tax in 1296 in the Horsham area.  Annabelle F Hughes ‘Chennelsbrook Farm Horsham West Sussex’, W.B.S.G. Monograph No. 2, 1997.  Dating commissioned by the Wealden Buildings Study Group. (Miles and Worthington 2005, VA 36, list 166)


LINDFIELD, Goddards Farmhouse (TQ 535 127)

Felling date range: 1392-1424

Arch braces 1367, 1383(h/s); Principal post (0/1). Site Master 1286-1383 GODDARDS (t = 6.2 NEWDIG1; 5.9 ODIHAMOV; 5.5 LONDON)

Goddards has a two-bay open hall with a floored bay at either end. A single service room was entered through a central doorway, while the high end has a deeply undercut moulded dais beam with evidence for a plank screen below. The door into the solar end was at the rear. The roof is of crown-post and collar-purlin construction and the steep pitch of the roof has resulted in very tall crown posts. The open truss has cranked collars supporting a massive tiebeam with yoked ends and all the principal posts have deeply cut back jowls. This primary phase has a felling date range of 1392-1424. In the 16th century the upper end of the hall was floored and a smoke bay constructed in the lower end, the cross passage remaining in use. A brick stack was inserted into the smoke bay in the late 18th century. Dating commissioned by Mr and Mrs Julian Berry. (Miles and Worthington 2002, VA 33, list 129)


ROGATE, Wenham Manor Barn (SU 788 235)

(a)     Phase 1

Felling date: Winter 1498/99

Brace 1498 (41C); Arcade posts (2/3) 1465 (H/S); 1445 (H/S). Site Master 1234-1498 WENHAM1 (t = 6.2 EASTMID; 6.0 MASTERAL; 5.5 CRESING2)

(b)     Phase 1 repair

Felling date range: 1528-1559

Aisle/arcade soleplate 1518 (H/S).  Site Master 1528-1573 wnm1002 (t=5.0 MOTISFNT; 4.9 WENHAM2; 4.8 HABBERLY)

Rafter (reused) 1339 (24½C).  Site Master 1277-1339 wnm1735 (t=7.2 HANTS97; 6.4 SOUTH; 6.3 BAYLLOLS)

(c)     Later phases/repairs

Felling dates: Summer? 1586; Winter 1586/7; Summer? 1596

Principal post 1585 (35½C?); Arcade plate 1586 (33C); Stud/brace? 1558 (H/S); Strut and tie restraint to aisle post 1551 (H/S) 1558 (H/S).  Site Master 1387-1586 WENHAM2 (t=7.4 EXTON; 7.4 HANTS97; 6.8 REF3)

Aisle wall plates 1578 (H/S); Repaired wall plate 1595 (24½C?); Aisle soleplates (0/5); stud (0/1).  Site Master 1479-1595 WENHAM3 (t=6.1 SALOP95; 5.6 HERE14C; 5.4 MASTERAL)

(d)     Later phases/repairs

Felling dates: Winter 1604/5 

Arcade posts (2/4) 1604 (17C; 21C); Arcade plates (2/3) 1604 (33C); 1576 (1+19NM); Principal rafter (0/1). Site Master 1507-1604 WENHAM5 (t=5.8 STHWRK; 5.6 BROOKGT; 5.3 MARLBORO)

The barn at Wenham Manor, Rogate, was built shortly after 1498/9 as a five-bay structure with daub-infilled side walls which incorporate upward braces housed past the side girts.  There is mortice evidence for former lean-to outshuts extending across the northern and southern ends and against part of the western side wall.  The present windbraced clasped-side-purlin roof was re-framed in antiquity, though the primary phase roof trusses appear not to have been affected by this.  Around 1600 the end outshuts were removed and the building extended by one bay to the north and four bays to the south.  These extensions either incorporated side outshuts or aisles, though if the latter, then the arcades incorporated side girts with some studding above.  The original arrangement below the side girts is unknown.  The arcade posts contain no nail holes for removed weatherboarding, nor do the arcade plates show evidence of stave holes for former daub infill.  The outshuts/aisles were returned across the southern end of the structure.  Subsequently, the side walls of the period-A frame and the side girts and studs to the extensions were removed, thereby converting the structure to standard aisled type with fully-open arcades.  The aisles incorporated much re-used material and have either been extensively repaired or partially re-built, rendering them unsatisfactory for tree-ring dating, as the varying dates of 1528-59, 1586/7, and 1596 illustrate.  No dates were obtained from the main structural timbers within the nave of the northern extension.  The tree-ring dating from the nave of the southern extension produced two dates - 1586/7 and 1604/5, suggesting two phases of construction, though this is difficult to reconcile with the structural evidence which suggests one phase only.  Interpretation is continuing in an attempt to resolve this inconsistency.  Prior to reconstruction, the building was recorded for English Heritage by David Martin of Archaeology South-East, who supplied the above description.  For further details see Miles, D H, 1998  The tree-ring dating of Wenham Manor Barn, Rogate, West Sussex, Anc Mon Lab Rep, 62/98 (Miles and Worthington 1997, VA 28, list 81)


RUDGWICK, Hoglands Cottage (TQ 073 291)

(a)     Primary phase

Felling date: Winter 1369/70

Principal posts 1356(6), 1369(18C); Tiebeam 1369(20C); Wall plate (0/1).  Site Master 1290-1369 HOGLAND1 (t = 7.2 NEWDIG1; 6.4 LONDON; 6.1 OXON93)

(b)     Reconstruction, possibly following fire

Felling date: Winter 1550/51

Brace 1522(h/s); Wall plates 1522(h/s), 1550(23C). Site Master 1353-1550 HOGLAND2 (t = 7.3 MASTERAL; 7.2 EX198HS; 6.5 SENG98)

Hoglands was built as a three-bay house, having a two-bay open hall and one floored bay divided into two rooms on the ground floor. Beyond the other end of the hall was an end aisle, apparently divided from the hall by a plank screen, with no access between hall and aisle. There are passing braces in the hall walls and the posts have deeply cut back jowls. The roof, much altered, appears to have been of collar-rafter construction. This primary phase has been dated to winter 1369/70. The end aisle was built up to two full storeys with timber felled in the winter of 1550/1, work which may be contemporary with the flooring of the low end of the hall following a severe fire. A chimney was inserted into the open bay at the end of the 16th century. The original floored end of the house suffered from movement and stress, requiring new wall plates and a new side-purlin roof in the 17th century. Dating funded by the Rudgwick Preservation Society. (Miles and Worthington 2002, VA 33, list 129)



RUDGWICK, Naldretts Lane, Warhams (TQ 088 323)

(a) Hall range Felling date range: 1213–39 (OxCal; unrefi ned 1212–44)

(b) North aisle reconstruction Felling date: Summer 1336

(c) Insertion of smoke hood and south aisle reconstruction  Felling date range: 1482–1502

(d) Cross-wing Felling date: Winter 1548/9

(e) North extension to cross-wing Felling date: Summer 1607

(f) Inserted reused hall ceiling Felling date range: 1598–1603

(g) Reused rail in north extension to cross-wing Felling date range: 1492–1524

(a) Arcade posts (1/2) 1203(h/s); Aisle principal rafter (0/1); Aisle post (0/1). (b) Aisle rafters (2/7) 1335(25½C), 1327(11); Aisle posts(0/2). (c) Aisle principal rafter 1445; Aisle plate 1438(11); Aisle rafter 1479(4); Main roof rafters 1428, 1462(1). (d) Posts (2/4) 1548(16C), 1536(1); Beams 1531(h/s), 1527(h/s); Rail (0/1); (e) Rails (1/2) 1606(21½C); Posts 1604(14), 1598(7). (f) Reused longitudinal beam 1593(8). (g) Reused rail 1483(h/s). Site Masters (a) 1127–1203 WARHAM1 (t = 7.0 LONDON; 5.8 HANTS02; 5.3 BNTWRTH1); (b)1257–1335 WARHAM2 ( t = 6.5 BLFRIAR3; 6.3 NEWDIG1; 5.8 SMMRSFRM); (c + d + e + f) 1342–1606 WARHAM3 (t = 15.3 LONDON; 15.0 HANTS02; 13.2 SENG98); (g) 1432–83 wrh31 (t = 6.0 SARUM11; 5.7 LYSSPLAC; 5.6 CHDESQ01).

Warhams is a large, multi-phased open-hall house situated near Bucks Green, just outside Rudgwick. The main range contains part of a double-aisled open hall of exceptional quality. The two arcade posts are circular and have octagonal capitals with well-carved stiff-leaf capitals, stylistically dated to 1220–40, as confirmed by this dating. Above the capitals large straight square-sectioned arcade braces connect with the arcade plates, and a pair of curved arch-braces rise up to the tiebeam forming an unusual elliptical arch. The framing at the other end of the hall is different in that the arcade posts are square in section with a simple chamfer with bar on the hall side only. Mortices in these arcade posts show that the hall range originally continued to the west for at least another bay. The roof has common-rafter couples only, with the aisle rafters jointed over the arcade plates with splayed scarfs. The construction of the aisles is confusing, primarily due to the lack of evidence for original aisle ties, suggesting the possibility of reconstruction and, indeed, some of the aisle rafters date to 1336. Some of the main roof rafters were replaced between 1484–1502, probably at the same time as an ovolo-moulded beam was inserted to form a smoke bay. The south aisle plate had a heartwood/sapwood boundary of 1427 and may just relate to the same rebuilding phase, if it had a higher than normal sapwood ring count. The original westernmost bay was demolished and a two-bay cross-wing erected in its place in 1548/9. Still later, the cross-wing was extended to the north by an additional bay (1607). Finally, the ceiling was inserted in the hall, reusing an earlier ceiling (dating from 1598–1603). The house was initially recorded by Diana Chatwin in 1991, but the owners of the house at the time would not allow any information to be published or its importance to be made public; with a change of ownership, the embargo has been lifted. (Miles, Worthington, and Bridge 2009, VA 40, list 212)
 

RUDGWICK, Snoxall (TQ 081 329)

Felling dates: Summer 1337, Winter 1337/8

Staves 1336(15½C, 18½C), 1337(15C); Rafters 1336(8½C, 16½C), 1337(11C); Hip rafter 1337(15C); Collars 1336(18½C, 19½C); Joist (0/1). Site Master 1284-1337 SNOXALL (t = 7.7 SCADBURY; 7.7 NEWDIG1; 7.3 SWAINSCT)

Snoxall has four bays with a two-bay central hall, one bay being much narrower than the other; the upper end has an internal jetty. The steeply pitched collar-rafter roof is hipped with a deep gablet. The principal posts have deeply cut back jowls and the external walls were originally infilled with vertical boarding, as were the internal partitions up to tiebeam level. Above the tiebeams the partitions are of wattle and daub, the high end one being decorated with a combed swirling pattern. Staves from this partition have produced the same date as timbers from the rest of the building: summer/autumn 1337, showing that it is primary. A lath-and-plaster chimney was inserted within the narrow hall bay around 1680 when the hall was floored, and a brick stack was built within the earlier chimney in the mid-1700s. The house is now divided into two properties, Snoxall, and The Old Cottage. Despite the pessimistic assessment due to low ring counts, nine out of ten of the primary phase samples matched together using both visual as well as statistical cross-matching. The individual samples were also cross checked with the other two chronologies from Rudgwick, one rafter of 32 years’ growth matching the chronology HOGLAND1 with an outstanding t-value of over 10. Included in the matched samples were all three staves, one with as few as 22 rings. All nine samples were combined to form the 54-year Site Master SNOXALL, which when compared with the reference chronologies, dated to 1284-1337. Despite having only 54 rings, the chronology produced exceptionally high and consistent matches with local and regional reference chronologies. Dating funded by the Rudgwick Preservation Society. (Miles and Worthington 2002, VA 33, list 129)


RUDGWICK, Swains Cottage (TQ 066 328)

(a)     Primary phase

Felling date range: 1378-8

Reset lower transverse beam 1349; Reset joist 1353(h/s?); Wall plate 1361(h/s); Principal post 1369(8); Tiebeam 1377(13C?).  Site Master 1284-1377 SWAINSCT (t = 6.4 NEWDIG1; 5.6 LONDON; 5.2 BLFRIAR3)

(b)     Reconstruction of lower end

Felling date: Winter 1568/9

Joist 1568(19C). Site Master 1511-1568 rdgc5 (t = 7.6 VANN; 7.1 CHAWTON3; 6.4 STOLAFS)

Swains Cottage was erected on the edge of common land. The four-bay house is of primitive design with a central hall of two almost equal bays, at one end a low undercroft only four feet high, the chamber above reached by a ladder from the hall through a doorway framed almost centrally in the partition; and an unfloored bay at the other end partitioned from the hall up to tiebeam level. The house is now encased in brick under a steeply pitched roof with the upper rooms lit by dormers. The hipped roof is of collar-rafter construction and the height from tiebeam to apex is greater than the height from ground to tiebeam. This primary phase has dated to 1378-9. The low floor was altered to one of conventional height using timbers felled in the winter of 1568/9. It is likely that the open bay at the other end was floored at this time, when the end wall was also rebuilt. A smoke bay was constructed at one end of the hall around 1600, but the hall was not floored until a brick stack was inserted in the late 17th century. Dating funded by Mr and Mrs B. Wright. (Miles and Worthington 2002, VA 33, list 129)


SLINFOLD, Gaskyns (TQ 121 308)

(a)     Primary phase

Felling date: Spring 1489

Crown-post brace 1434; Transverse beam 1473(h/s); Rafters 1443, 1478(14), 1488(30, 24¼C, 45¼C).  Site Master 1321-1488 GASKYNS1 (t = 13.1 FORD; 9.5 SENG98; 9.2 LONDON)

(b)     Wing

Felling date: Summer 1556

Principal post 1555(16½C); Rails 1555(15½C, 20½C, 26½C). Site Master 1440-1555 GASKYNS2 (t = 11.0 LONDON; 10.7 REF3; 10.2 MASTERAL)

Gaskyns farmhouse is an L-shaped building. The primary phase (spring 1489) is a small building measuring just 26ft 6in by 18ft 6 in, and consisting of a floored bay and a single-bay open hall. The sooted roof is of crown-post and collar-purlin construction and was originally hipped with a gablet at each end. In line with this phase is a substantial brick stack which serves both the old hall and the second-phase cross wing. The wing (summer 1556) has four bays providing three rooms on each floor, the central rooms being of two bays. The roof has clasped side purlins with reducing principal rafters, queen struts and wind braces. There is, however, an anomaly at the chimney end of the wing. The end bay was rebuilt in the 20th century and the large cooking hearth cuts awkwardly across a principal post. It is likely that some form of smoke bay or timber chimney preceded the present brick stack and that some misfortune befell this part of the building, necessitating reconstruction. Unfortunately neither hearth bressumer was suitable for dating. Dating funded by Mr and Mrs M. Page. (Miles and Worthington 2002, VA 33, list 129)


SOUTHWATER, Parthings Farmhouse (TQ 157 297), Hall and cross-wing

(a)     Hall range          

Felling date range: 1471-80

(b)     Cross-wing        

Felling dates: Summer 1477, Summer 1479; Winter 1479/80

All timbers (9/11). (a) Posts 1457(h/s), 1473(10), 1477(10+2mm); (b) Tiebeams 1455(4), 1476(16½C), 1478(19½C); Rafters 1475(16), 1479(21C); Crown post 1479(24C). Site Master 1336-1479 PARTHNGS (t = 11.0 HANTS02; 9.5 SOMRST04; 9.0 LONDON)

The building consists of a two-bay hall, with a rebuilt service wing, and a four-bay cross-wing, jettied on two sides and with close studding on both storeys. There was no access at ground level between the two ranges. Both ranges have crown post roofs containing large well-finished timbers. The two ranges have been thought to be separate phases, but the dates suggest they are either exactly contemporaneous or are separated by only a few years. Dating supported by the Margery Trust. (Miles, Worthington, and Bridge 2007, VA 38, list 189)


STEYNING, Jarvis Lane, Jarvis (TQ 179 111)

(a)     Cross-wing        

Felling date range: 1534-47

(b)     Main range         

Felling date: Winter 1551/2

All timbers (8/9). (a) Purlins 1510(h/s), 1514(5); Rafters 1500(h/s), 1506(h/s+27NM); (b) Purlin 1509(5); Wallplate 1528(h/s); Mid-rail 1534(h/s);  Post 1535(3+15NM). Site Masters 1384-1514 JARVIS1 (t = 8.6 LYSSPLAC; 8.6 CL_QMFG1; 8.1 CLRENDN7); 1431-1551 JARVIS2 (t = 9.4 GASKYNS2; 8.7 LONDON; 8.6 HANTS02)

Originally thought to be a single phase building, the cross-wing and a purlin of the adjoining main range roof were felled earlier than the main range timbers. One tiebeam was found to be elm. The building has curved braces in the framing and a queen-post roof with gently curved wind-braces to clasped purlins. Dating commissioned by the owners. (Miles, Worthington, and Bridge 2007, VA 38, list 189)