WARWICKSHIRE


BADDESLEY CLINTON (SP 200 715)

(a)     Building 1: Chapel - east half of south-west range, and south half of east range

Felling date: Winter 1458/9

Corner post 1458 (27C); Tiebeams 1433(h/s), 1440 (1); Queen strut 1437(h/s); Collar (0/1). Site Master 1367-1497 BADESLY1 (t = 8.3 HIARDEN3; 7.9 ENGLAND; 7.9 WALES97)

(b)     Building 1: Reconstruction of roof over south half of east range

Felling date: Spring 1702

Principal rafters 1697(18+3-4NM), 1701(16¼C); Tiebeam (0/1). Site Master 1626-1701 BADESLY5 (t = 6.0 CHATHAM2; 6.0 EASTMID; 5.5 PEGGS)

(c)     Building 2: Service end - west half of south range

Felling date: Summer 1526

Principal rafter 1505(h/s); Tiebeam 1499(2); Purlin 1493(h/s); Rafter 1525(22½C). Site Master 1367-1525 BADESLY2 (t = 6.7 SINAI; 5.5 SALOP95; 5.3 WOLVERTN)

(d)     Building 2: Reconstruction of roof over service end

Felling date: Winter 1641/2

Rafter 1641(20C). Site Master 1566-1641 bad5 (t = 6.8 MASTERAL; 6.0 SALOP95; 5.8 BOARSTL2)

(e)     Building 3: North range primary roof either side of gatehouse       

Felling dates: Winter 1534/5 and Winter 1535/6

Collars 1518(1), 1534(18½C); Queen strut 1535(28C); Principal rafter 1502(1). Site Master 1411-1534 BADESLY6 (t = 8.4 NORTH; 7.2 SALOP95; 7.4 MAYTREE)

(f)      Building 3: North range either side of gatehouse (later roof)

Felling date: Spring 1574

(g)     Building 3: Great parlour roof

Felling dates: Summer/autumn 1630

Rafters 1629 (21½C3); Valley board 1629 (19½C). Site Master 1543-1629 BADESLY4 (t = 8.4 MASTERAL; 8.3 UPWICH3; 7.3 SALOP95)

(h)     Building 4: Great Hall - North half of East Range

Felling dates: Summer 1573 through Winter 1577/8

(f) Purlin 1551(h/s); Principal rafters 1551(3), 1573(20¼C). (h) Studs 1573(23½C), 1575(38¼C); Rafters (2/3) 1576(29¼C), 1577(24C); Collars 1572(26½C), 1573(17½C); Strut 1573(17½C); Principal rafter 1558(h/s); Purlin 1558(h/s); Tiebeam 1543(15NM to h/s). Site Master 1423-1577 BADESLY3 (t = 10.4 NORTH; 9.5 WALES97; 9.3 SALOP95)

(i)      Building 5: North-east corner block

Felling date: Winter 1789/90

Purlin 1789 (24C); Principal rafters 1789 (25C2 ). Site Master 1711-1789 BADESLY7 (t = 8.3 MASTERAL; 7.1 ORIEL1; 7.0 HANTS97)

In 2001 an archaeological analysis of the moated manor house was commissioned by the National Trust, backed up by documentary research and comprehensive tree-ring dating. This resulted in a substantial revision to the established construction dates and building sequence. Originally four ranges of buildings enclosed a central courtyard, but the west range, containing the de Clintons’ medieval open hall, has been demolished, leaving only a single post in the north wall of the south range. In 1458-59 a jettied chamber block with large rectangular wall panels and curved braces, a clasped-purlin roof and external stairs, was built for John Brome in the south-east corner of the site (a). Sir Edward Ferrers rebuilt or replaced the wing at the upper end of the medieval hall c.1526-28, again employing a clasped-purlin roof (c). He altered Brome’s chamber block at the same time, the new roof having no collars in the trusses, so that the side purlins were clasped directly between the upper ends of the struts and the principals.

The present gatehouse range, originally unheated, and with another clasped-purlin roof, was not built before c.1535-36 (e). It was soon remodelled, c.1574-78, for Henry Ferrers the antiquary or his remarried mother, with heating in the chambers, and a new side-purlin roof (f). The new great hall, floored from the outset, was contemporary, originally with close-studded jettied facades on both sides, and a roof with threaded side purlins and cranked wind braces; the tiebeams being extended towards the courtyard to support side gables (h). In 1630-31 the great parlour, with a double arch-braced common-rafter roof, was inserted across the line of the gatehouse range (g). When, c.1703, much of Brome’s chamber-block was rebuilt in brick, a new roof was assembled over its north arm, with threaded side purlins and a clasped ridge piece (b). A new building of c.1790 in the north-east corner, in the angle between the gatehouse range and the great hall, has king-post roof trusses (i). Building description by Bob Meeson. Bob Meeson, Nat Alcock and Dan Miles, ‘Baddesley Clinton, Warwickshire: historic building analysis’, unpublished report for the National Trust (2002). (Miles and Worthington 2002, VA 33, list 126)


CLIFFORD CHAMBERS, The Old Rectory (SP 198 521)

Felling dates: Winter 1433/4

Principal rafters 1433(18C2, 19C, 22C); Collars (1/2) 1433(13C); Purlin 1433(25C). Site Master 1344-1433 CLIFFORD (t= 8.7 SALOP95; 8.5 WGATE1; 8.0 TYDDYNC1)

The former Rectory is impressively timber-framed, in close studding throughout. The hall open truss is of arch-braced post-and-rafter form, and a spere truss demarcates the cross passage. Two jettied cross wings are structurally integrated with the hall and clearly of the same date. They have remarkable floors, in which touching heavy joists (14-18in (35-45cm) wide and 7in (18cm) thick) function as floorboards. The two-bay parlour/solar wing has an original stone chimney serving fireplaces on both floors; a first-floor rear door probably led to a garderobe (since replaced by an added bay). The service-end wing is partitioned into two rooms on each floor. The date indicates that one John Bokeland was the rector responsible for its construction. (Miles, Worthington, and Bridge 2004, VA 35, list 152)

COVENTRY, Lychgate Cottages, Priory Row  (SP 334 790)

Felling dates: Spring 1414 to Spring 1415

Wall plates (2/4) 1413 (38½C); 1414 (18¼C); Posts (2/3) 1413 (16½C); 1414 (19C); Jetty joists (1/2) 1413 (38½C); Floor girt (1414 (16C); Window jamb (0/1).  Site Master 1308-1414  PRIORYRW (t=8.1 SHOOTRPH; 6.5 MASTERAL; 6.3 EASTMID)

Lychgate Cottages in Priory Row, Coventry is a high, jettied, building comprising three stories plus cellars. Of four bays, the front retains close studding on the two upper stories, while the ground floor has three-quarter-round chamfers around the original door openings. Interestingly, the jetty joists run the entire depth of the building without axial beams.  All of the principal timbers are of exceptionally heavy section, with the  jetty joists measuring 9” x 8”.

The building was built encroaching on the forecourt of the original cathedral, hard up against the south-west turret.  However, the level of the ground floor is some four metres higher than the forecourt surface below (as is the street level of Priory Row).  Archaeological evidence has hitherto suggested that the present building was built on the demolition rubble of the cathedral when it was pulled down after the Dissolution. The tree-ring date of 1415 is at odds with this, but the timber frame shows no obvious signs of having been moved.  A rear extension is constructed mostly of re-used timbers.  Two samples from a wall-plate and tiebeam failed to date. As part of the forthcoming Millennium project to improve the environs of Priory Row, the dendrochronology was commissioned by Mr George Demidowicz of the City Development Directorate to better interpret the building and its relationship with the surrounding area.  (Miles and Worthington 1999, VA 30, list 100)


COVENTRY, 119-123 Upper Spon Street  (SP 325 790)

Felling dates: Spring 1454, Winter 1454/5

Jetty joist 1453 (27¼C); Tiebeams 1453 (31¼C, 35¼C), 1415 (9+19C NM + (10-20 uncountable rings)); Brace 1453 (32¼C); Wall plate 1453 (39C); Stud 1453 (23¼C); Principal posts (1453 (24¼C); 1454 (26C); Axial beam 1409 (4+38C NM + (1-10 uncountable rings)).  Site Master 1327-1454  UPPRSPON (t=9.9 MUCHPARK; 6.1 EASTMID; 5.7 HANTS97; 4.7 PRIORYRW)

The building is a six-bay timber-framed terrace of five single and one double at the eastern end.  The building is of box frame construction with queen strut trusses and clasped purlins. The terrace was built as a quarter hall building, with hall arrangement at the front of most of the bays and a sealed back room at ground and first floor levels. This formed an internal jetty and an internal roof arrangement, evidence for which still survives in no. 122.   The jetty joists are fixed to the rear girt with wedged half-dovetails, a feature more commonly found on the joint of aisle ties and arcade posts.  The tree-ring dating carried out for English Heritage in advance of proposed repairs. Worthington, M J, and Miles, D W H, 2000  The tree-ring dating of 119-23 Upper Spon Street, Coventry, Warwickshire, Anc Mon Lab Rep, 84/2000.  (Miles and Worthington 1999, VA 30, list 100)


COVENTRY, Whitefriars, Gulson Road (SP 340 786), East cloister range

(a)     Roof bays 1-4 (from north end)

Felling date: Spring 1475

Rafters 1474(29¼C), 1462(7), 1458(2+15NM), 1449(5+24NM), 1440(h/s+30NM, 1416(h/s). Site Master 1334-1474 WHTFRS1 (t = 8.0 BAYTON; 7.4 EASTMID; 7.2 HIARDEN2)

(b)     Roof bays 5-10

Felling dates: Winter 1491/2, Spring 1493, Winter 1493/4

Rafters (7/12) 1493(21C), 1492(25¼C), 1491(32); Collar 1491(21C). Site Master 1349-1493 WHTFRS2 (t = 5.9 ALTON; 5.6 CLIVEHS; 5.5 STRETEFM)

(c)     Alterations to bay 11 and south-west wing

Felling dates: Summer 1547, Winter 1547/8

Studs 1547(15C, 19C); Rails 1547(14C), 1546(22½C); Longitudinal beams 1525(h/s), 1522(h/s); Post 0/1). Site Master 1445-1547 WHTFRS3 (t = 5.6 lea3; 5.5 BDLEIAN3; HLSCRFT1)

Whitefriars comprises the east side of the former cloister, the sole surviving portion of the Carmelite friary, founded in 1342. At the Dissolution the cloister, and a smaller cloister or ‘inner court’ at the southern end, were purchased by John Hales who converted the east range into a house, known as ‘Hales Place’. The remainder was demolished at this time, although the two short returns of the cloister at the north and south ends were retained and a certain amount of timber framing added to the upper portions at the south-west end of the main range.

The roof over the main east range is not the original structure since the truss positions do not respect the bays as delineated by the buttresses below. The twelve trusses along the 150ft length are consistent in design, each containing a substantial tiebeam, three struts to a lower collar, and two queen struts between the lower and upper collars. The roof has double purlins, the lower ones tenoned and the upper ones clasped by the diminished principals; both tiers have curved plank wind braces. The southernmost truss is slightly different in design in that the tiebeam has been severed by two posts rising to the collars which frame the great west window, a prominent feature which would otherwise have been obscured by the tiebeam. This solution was not employed at the north end where the roof truss does obscure the upper part of the window. The south-west wing is constructed within the truncated eastern end of the south cloister, using square-panel framing at first-floor level. Similar framing has been employed in internal partitions when converting the building for domestic use following the Dissolution.

Tree-ring dating was employed to determine if the roof was all one date: whether the rafters were of the same date as the trusses, and whether the truss at the south end, which is of different form, was the same date as those to the north. The roof has produced two main dates: 1475 and 1493/4, plus a date of 1547/8 for the southern end and the south-west wing. The favoured interpretation is that the original 1340s roof had begun to fail and was replaced in stages during the later 15th century, with the northern four or five bays being replaced in 1475, the northernmost truss unfortunately cutting across the gable-end window. In about 1493/4 the rest of the main range was replaced, this time care being taken to not obscure the large gable-end window to the south. Suggestions that the roof has been reset from another building, or that the whole roof was reconstructed in 1493/4, reusing elements of a 1475 structure have been discarded. D. Miles, ‘The Tree-Ring Dating of Whitefriars, Coventry’, CfA report 40/2002. (Miles and Worthington 2002, VA 33, list 126)


HENLEY-IN-ARDEN, Heritage Centre, 150 High Street (SP 150 658)

(a)     Cross wing

Felling date: Spring 1345

Brace 1344(17¼C); Tiebeam 1344(17¼C); Corner post 1332(h/s). Site Master 1254-1344 HIARDEN1 (t = 6.4 MANORFM; 5.9 CROWLE1; 5.3 SENGLAND)

(b)     Infill framing to cross-wing walls

Felling dates: Winter 1436/7, Winter 1439/40, Spring 1440

Studs 1439(27C, 21½C), 1436(25C). Site Master 1293-1439 HIARDEN2 (t = 10.3 MASTERAL; 9.2 NORTH; 8.8 SALOP95)

(c)     Hall range

Felling date: Spring 1451

Tiebeam 1450(12¼C); Studs (1/2) 1450(13¼C); Corner post 1448(17); Dais beam 1443(15). Site Master 1372-1450 HIARDEN3 (t = 8.9 MASTERAL; 8.4 OVERTON3; 8.3 BADESLY1)

(d)     South end

Felling dates: Spring, Summer 1433

(e)     South end porch extension

Felling dates: Spring, Summer 1465, Summer 1471

(d) Joists (3/4) 1432(24¼C, 29½C, 30¼C); Girts (0/1). (e) Girt 1471(24¼C); Joists (2/3) 1464(21¼C, 22½C). Site Master 1353-1470 HIARDEN4 (t = 7.0 HIARDEN2; 6.3 LEOMSTR2; 6.0 SALOP95)

The Heritage Centre is a complex building on the west side of the High Street. An architectural analysis and historical survey was commissioned in 1997 during renovation, followed by tree-ring dating. The earliest part is a two-bay cross wing with a crown-post roof (very rare in Warwickshire) with dragon ties. It dates to 1345 and may have housed a shop with a service room behind and two-bay solar above (bays I-II), with an open hall on the site of bay III. The walls originally had large framing, infilled with close studding in c.1440. Bays III-IV form a part-floored hall of 1451, with only Bay III open to the roof. The roof has clasped purlins and two trusses are infilled with irregular thin stone slabs jammed between the studs and mortar.

In c.1433 two well-finished floored bays (VI-VII) were added at the lower end and in c.1471 a two-storey porch was built. Later, bay V and the south end of bay IV were replaced by a wagon way with wide openings, suggesting possible use as an inn. Nat Alcock and Bob Meeson, ‘The Heritage Centre, 150 High Street, Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire’, W. Midlands Archaeol. 42 (1999), 109-15. (Miles and Worthington 2002, VA 33, list 126)


MORTON BAGOT, Netherstead (SP 106 637)

(a)     Main range and porch    

Felling dates: Spring 1639; Winter 1648/9; Spring 1651

(b)     Rear section of main range          

Felling date: Winter 1652/3

(c)     Added rear wing (right)              

Felling date: Spring 1706

(d)     Added rear wing (left)    

Felling dates: Spring 1786; Winter 1786/7; Spring 1787

(a) Principal rafters (2/3) 1638(33¼C), 1648(14C); Tiebeam 1650(22¼C); Filler board (0/1); Purlin (0/1). (b) Principal rafters 1569+61NM, 1652(33C); Purlin (0/1). (c) Axial beam 1705(18¼C); Joist (0/1). (d) Principal rafters 1783(16), 1785(15¼C, 16¼C); King posts 1784(16), 1786(17¼C); Purlin 1786(11¼C). Site Masters (a) 1553-1650 NTHRSTD1 (t= 6.6 NORTH; 6.3 EASTMID; 6.1 MASTERAL); (b) 1507-1652 nsh7 (t= 6.9 WVT9; 6.9 MCPREES; 6.3 WHTOWER5); (c) 1628-1705 nsh31 (t= 6.7 NEWING; 6.7 bct78; 6.5 BUILDWS3); (d) 1715-1786 NTHRSTD2 (t= 5.2 MTNESSNG; 4.8 READING; 4.5 STOWE8).

The T-shaped main section of this formerly moated manor house has a lobby-entry plan, with a two-storey porch. The ground-floor framing is close-studded, with square panels above, and there is a brick chimney with sgraffito-decorated fireplaces, the first Midland example of the technique (James Ayres, Domestic Interiors (2003), 26). This section appears to be of one build, of c.1653 (including the rear bay), though possibly with staged construction and using stockpiled timber (a, b). A bay to the east remains from an earlier house (not sampled), and a further bay was added behind this (c). The extension in brick to the west has a king-post roof (d). (Miles, Worthington, and Bridge 2004, VA 35, list 152)


SHUSTOKE, Peggs Barn, Station Road, Whitacre Heath (SP 218 914)

Felling date: Winter 1668/9

Principal rafter 1668(17C); Queen strut 1668(28C); Collar 1668(46C); Purlin (0/2). Site Master 1561-1668 PEGGS (t = 7.3 NORTH; 6.7 YORKS2; MARLBORO)

Peggs Barn originally stood at Daw Mill Colliery (SP 261 902) where it was known as Peggs Hill Farm House. It was moved and restored between 1985 and 1992 by Brian Teall, local Scouts, and Coleshill and District Civic Society members, and now serves as the latter’s headquarters. It is a three-bay box-framed structure with four tiebeam and collar trusses which have crossed apexes, queen struts, and trenched purlins. The wall framing is large square panels, two high with straight corner braces. Dating commissioned by Brian Teall. (Miles and Worthington 2002, VA 33, list 126)


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON, Hall’s Croft (SP 200 545)

(a)     Unit I – Front main range

Felling date: Winter 1612/13

Studs (1/2) 1612 (19C); Rail 1612 (31C); Axial beam 1612 (24C); Principal posts 1612 (15C, 18C2, 21C, 22C, 27C, 29C); Wall plate 1612 (21C); Door post 1612 (19C); Purlins 1604 (18+6NM); 1612 (19C, 21C, 23C, 26C). Site Master  1429-1612  HLSCRFT1 (t=6.6 MASTERAL; 6.4 SALOP95; 6.1 NORTH)

(b)     Unit II – Rear parallel range

Felling date: Winter 1613/14

First floor ceiling joists 1550; 1556; 1602 (13); 1613 (25C). Site Master  1457-1613  HLSCRFT2 (t=6.8 GIERTZ; 6.6 MASTERAL; 6.5 SENG98)

(c)     Unit IV – Main staircase

Felling date range: 1653-1678

Newel post 1648 (11+4NM).  Site Master  1520-1648  hc-IV1 (t=7.0 WALES97; 6.3 SALOP95; 6.1 STOKE5)

(d)     Unit V – Rear kitchen range

Felling dates: Winter 1630/31 to Summer 1631

Principal posts (2/3) 1630 (30C, 18¼C); Studs 1630 (19C, 27C); Window jamb 1630 (21½C). Site Master  1438-1630  HLSCRFT3 (t=7.9 NORTH; 7.7 WALES97; 7.4 SALOP95)

Hall’s Croft is a complex building in Old Town, Stratford-upon-Avon, traditionally the home of Dr John Hall, Shakespeare’s son-in-law.  It comprises eight structural units, six timber-framed and two of brick.  The front range includes two jettied bays (unit I) with square-panel framing over close-studding (felling date 1612/13) and a later unjettied bay (III) in spindly framing (undated, probably late 17th century); unit I provided a hall and parlour with two chambers over.  Unit II, a narrower service range behind unit I, was apparently built only one year later but in the interval unit I suffered a serious structural distortion with some of its posts 5° out of vertical.  Unit II has a similar framing pattern to unit I (though it is built mainly in elm rather than oak) and both units have very unusual jetty corners, using additional joists carried on brackets rather than dragon beams.  The roof over units I and II was later reconstructed but the dated purlins proved to be reused from the original construction.  The kitchen (unit V, 1631) uses square framing, three panels high.  It was originally free-standing, but the gap between it and unit III was later infilled with unit IV (undated) in which an elegant staircase with decorative square newel posts and turned balusters was constructed (sampled using a microbore drill and dated to 1653-78).  Unit VI was added c. 1700 to the rear of unit V, and units VII-VIII (brick) formed a 19th century schoolroom.  Dating carried out for Shakespeare Birthplace Trust. R A Meeson and N W Alcock, Hall’s Croft, Stratford-upon-Avon: an architectural survey and history, report for Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, 1998. (Miles and Worthington 1999, VA 30, list 100)


WATER ORTON, The Chestnuts, Church Lane (SP 177 913), East cross-wing   

Felling date: ?Winter 1579/80

Windbrace 1579(24?C); Tiebeam 1545(h/s); Wall plate (0/1). Site Master 1416-1579 WORA2021 (t = 7.7 FORESTR1; 6.6 SMMRSFRM; 6.4 PENIARTH)

The cruck-built hall, whose arch-braces use unusual joggled halvings, was previously dated to 1398/9 (Alcock et al 1991 ‘Tree-ring dates: List 41’, VA 22, 46-7). The west cross-wing has been sampled but failed to date, since the timbers are too fast grown. The east cross-wing has now been dated, although the only sample retaining complete sapwood had been abraded, possibly removing the outermost ring. This wing probably replaces an in-line service bay; it uses straight corner-braces and wind-braces, and the roof has queen struts. The wall posts and ceiling beams have lambs-tongue stops. (Miles, Worthington, and Bridge 2007, VA 38, list 189)


WILMCOTE, Glebe Farm  (SP 163 581): Hall range

Felling dates: Winter 1512/13 and Winter 1513/14

Tiebeam 1511(22); Principal posts (2/3) 1509(19), 1465; Collars 1513(17C), 1510(9); Ridge 1512(17C); Wall plate (0/1).  Site Master 1370-1513  ARDEN1 (t=7.1 CROWLE2; 7,1 TANWRTH2; 6.7 LONDON)

Glebe Farm comprises a three-bay hall range now dated to c. 1514 with a two-bay cross-wing.  The hall range comprises a chamber bay, open hall bay and service bay.  The timber-framed walls have been almost entirely replaced in brick, but the clasped purlin roof is intact, including soot blackened rafters and evidence for a smoke louvre.  The cross-wing which contained an un-floored kitchen, is almost contemporary with the hall; it either replaced a previous wing or a fourth bay in the main range, or was planned during the initial construction and added slightly later.  The lower walls are of stone, with square panel framing above.  The smoke-blackened roof is identical in design to that of the hall range.  It has been identified as a four yardland copyhold, held by Robert Arden, Shakespeare’s grandfather (died 1556).  Dating commissioned by the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust.  See N W Alcock (2000), Topography and Land Ownership in Wilmcote and Bob Meeson (2000), Glebe Farm, Wilmcote, Warwickshire, unpublished reports for the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust. (Miles and Worthington 2000, VA 31, list 107)


WILMCOTE, Mary Arden’s House  (SP 164 581)

a)       Cross-wing

Felling date: Winter 1568/9

Principal posts 1538(h/s), 1536(h/s); Tiebeam 1492; Side girts 1568(22C), 1547(h/s); Axial beam 1547(h/s); Wall plate (0/1). Site Master 1371-1568 ARDEN2 (t=8.8 SALOP95; 8.6 WALES97; 8.5 NORTH)

b)      Hall range

Felling dates: Summer 1579 and Winter 1579/80

Purlins (1/2) 1578(29½C); Tiebeam 1579(24C); Wall plates 1579(30C2); Principal post 1567(13); Stud (0/1).

c)       Kitchen range

Felling dates: Winter 1579/80 and Winter 1580/81

Principal posts (2/4) 1580(35C), 1560(9); Studs (1/2) 1580(21C); Wall plate 1579(26C).  Site Master  1454-1580  ARDEN3 (t=8.8 HLSCROFT; 8.2 SENG98; 8.1 SALOP95)

d)      Inserted hall floor

Felling date: After 1491

Joists 1482, 1465, 1438. Site Master  1316-1482  ARDEN4 (t=7.1 ARDEN3; 6.1 BRAMLEY; 5.6 CONDOVER)

The earliest surviving part of Mary Arden’s House (since 2000 known as Palmer’s Farm) is the cross-wing of c. 1569, using decorative herring-bone timber-framing on its front gable.  This was originally of two bays, but the rear bay was removed (c. 1700?).  It presumably adjoined a pre-existing hall that was replaced by the present hall in 1580.  This is close-studded on the front elevation with square panels at the rear, standing on high stone plinths.  The hall was originally open to the roof with an open hearth but was soon ceiled and had a fireplace inserted (possibly when the kitchen was added); the ceiling joists are of slow-grown timber with many rings on which no sapwood survived (date d).  The hall was extended by a one-bay kitchen in 1581.  This is identical structurally to the hall, apart from having an original floor. The hall and kitchen roof uses tiebeams with principal rafters and trenched purlins, and it is lightly sooted over the hall.  The gable walls of both hall and kitchen are of stone, and the framing is not infilled against them.  The farm has been identified as a 2.5 yardland freeholding, the property of Adam Palmer from c. 1561 until his death in 1584; the association with Mary Arden, Shakespeare’s mother arose at the end of the 18th century and is now seen to be applicable to Glebe Farm.  Dating commissioned by the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust.  See N W Alcock (2000), Topography and Land Ownership in Wilmcote and N W Alcock and Bob Meeson (1999), Mary Arden’s House, Wilmcote, Warwickshire, unpublished reports for the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust. (Miles and Worthington 2000, VA 31, list 107)


WILMCOTE, Pear Tree Cottage (SP 164 580)

Felling date: Winter 1678/9

W axial beam 1678 (17C). Site Master 1576-1678 ptc1a (t = 5.0 STOKE5; 5.0 EASTMID; 4.9 MASTERAL)

Pear Tree Cottage stands on land that belonged to John and Mary Shakespeare until 1597. It is a two-bay timber-framed cottage although the walls have mostly been replaced in local limestone. Typologically, it might date to the early 17th century, but the only dateable timber is the axial ceiling beam, which may be inserted. N. W. Alcock with Robert Bearman, ‘Discovering Mary Arden’s house: property and society in Wilmcote, Warwickshire’, Shakespeare Quarterly 53 (2002), 53-82, p. 69. Dating commissioned by the owner, Mr Ted Mander. (Miles and Worthington 2002, VA 33, list 126)