HERTFORDSHIRE


ASHWELL, Church of St Mary the Virgin (TL 268 399), Ringing chamber beams 

Felling date range: 1365-76

Beams (1/2)  1339(4). Site Master 1184-1339 ASHWELL (t = 8.1 STNSTJN1; 6.3 EAST MEON; 5.7 SOMPTING)

The two large beams, both about 12 in square, supporting the bell-ringing chamber are thought to be original to the tower, and thus date it. They were both quite different in character, the non-dated timber being fast-grown with relatively few rings. Dating commissioned by Ashwell PCC on the advice of the diocesan archaeological adviser. (Miles and Worthington 2003, VA 34, list 140)


CHORLEYWOOD, The Retreat, Turney’s Orchard (TQ 028 956)          

Felling date range: 1465-80

All timbers (2/7); Floor joists (2/5) 1439(H/S), 1443(H/S+22NM). Site Master 1365-1443 CHRLYWD1 (t = 6.4 CRANFIELD;  6.1 STHELEN1;  6.0 QUEEN2)

The primary phase of this building consists of two bays, the larger to the north being about 10 ft wide and the smaller southern bay being about 8 ft 6 in wide. The bays are floored, with a stairway in the eastern part of the larger bay. The girding beams are supported by arched braces. The collar is supported by two queen posts and clasps the purlins, and the posts are jowelled. All the timbers appear to be oak, but they are mostly from relatively fast-grown trees and contain few rings. Dating commissioned by the owner. (Miles and Worthington 2005, VA 36, list 166)


CROXLEY GREEN, Finches Avenue, Barn at The Stables (TQ 066 970)

Felling date range (OxCal modelled):  1471-83 (unrefined 1471-96)

All timbers (3/7): Posts 1455(H/S), 1467(10+4NM); Tie 1470(12).  Site Master 1361-1470 REDHEATH (t = 6.7 WHTOWER3; 6.3 WC_KITCH; 6.0 MARY ROSE ORIGINAL)

The building has been examined and reported on independently by Adrian Gibson, James Moir, and, most recently, by Richard Harris. It is generally agreed that the timber frame of this ‘barn’ was originally part of a hall house, but that it has been dismantled and rebuilt in its present form. The owner suggests that the structure was put up on its present site between 1760 and 1823, based on map evidence. The two western bays form the ‘hall’, with the high end at the present west end. The current eastern bay, 5 feet wide, formed the cross passage. Another single bay existed to the east, as indicated by the numbering on the rafters, and mortices in the posts. The frame at the western end was not originally infilled, suggesting that it abutted a cross-wing. Dating commissioned by the owner. (Miles, Worthington, and Bridge 2006, VA 37, list 177)