BEDFORDSHIRE


BLETSOE, 2-3 Old Way (TL 022 581)

(a)     Hall                                     Felling date: Winter 1459/60

(b)     Inserted floor                      Felling date: Winter 1643/4

All timbers (5/11). (a) Tiebeams 1436(h/s), 1448(7); Wall plate 1456(19); Principal rafter 1459(26C); (b) Floor beam 1643(19C). Site Master 1355-1459 BLETSOE1 (t = 9.6 CRANFLD; 7.6 CHICKSANDS; 7.3 THAXTED2)

The house is listed as of  c1500 origin with later building periods up to the late seventeenth century, and with a small nineteenth century rear addition. The plan is based around an original open hall with surviving smoke bay, but the west end appears to have been demolished and replaced in stone. Against the hall at the east side is a cross-wing, which has been extended northwards, with a nineteenth-century extension to the south. Although sampled, neither of the extensions dated. (Miles, Worthington, and Bridge 2007, VA 38, list 189)


CLOPHILL, High Street, Clophill House (TL 086 379)                                         

(a)     Inserted floor, east wing 

Felling dates: Summer 1740 and Summer 1741

(b)     Ceiling in main house      

Felling date: Summer 1719

(c)     Attic over main house     

Felling date range: 1748-74

All timbers (5/8): (a) Ceiling beams 1738(10+5mm NM), 1740(34C), 1741(22C); (b) Ceiling beam 1718(15C); (c) Purlin 1748(15).  Site Master 1646-1748 CLOPHILL (t = 9.0 CLAYDON; 8.7 ANGLIA03; 7.4 ORIEL1)

Clophill House is a later 18th-century house, apparently a re-fronting of an earlier building, with later alterations, and an earlier 18th-century block adjoining at right angles on the east side. The main block is two storied, of double pile plan with a two-span roof, the rear block having a gambrel roof. The east block is of one storey with attics.  The kitchen and room to the rear appear to be of one build, with a further addition to the north (scullery). Records suggest building on the site in 1586, and it is possible that this east block represents that phase. Other periods of recorded work at the site are 1664, 1720 and 1872 (information provided by the owner). Dating commissioned by AOC Archaeology Group for the owner. (Miles, Worthington, and Bridge 2006, VA 37, list 177)

B&B accommodation is a available at Cloghill House by the present owners Katie and Andrew Hicks

WILLINGTON, Dovecote (TL 107 499)     

Felling dates: Spring 1543 and Spring 1544

Tiebeam 1542 (30C); Raking struts 1542 (24C); 1506 (1); Rafters (1/3) 1543 (25C). Site Master 1394-1542 WILNGTN1 (t=10.0 MASTERAL; 8.6 EASTMID; 8.4  SENGLAND)

WILLINGTON, Stables (TL 107 499)         

Felling dates: Winter 1539/40 (and earlier)

Transverse beam 1539 (19C); Principal rafters 1537 (21C); 1538 (30C); 1538 (28C); Tiebeams (1/2) 1506 (16) (+20C NM); Joist (0/1). Site Master 1328-1538 WILNGTN2 (t=9.6 MASTERAL; 7.1 WC KITCH; 6.2 THAXTED2)

It has generally been believed that the Dovecote and Stables at Willington were erected during the late 1530s using stone from the nearby Newnham Priory after its dissolution in 1535; this is consistent with the dendro-results, which suggest a progressive sequence of building.  Both buildings are built of stone with clay tile and brick stitching courses and the stables incorporate several corbel stones with carved faces.  It is known from a plan of 1779 that they formed part of a larger farm complex surrounding a brick-built house erected by John Gostwick after his acquisition of the manor in 1529. Dating commissioned by Gary Marshall of the National Trust. (Miles and Worthington 1998, VA 29, list 90)

The National Trust Willington Dovecote and Stable information